Accepting Applications for Full Time Deputy
The Van Wert County Sheriff’s Office is accepting applications for the position of Deputy Sheriff. This is a Full Time hourly position. Applications will be accepted from November 9th, 2018 through November 26th, 2018 at 3:00pm. Anyone interested in applying can pick up an application at any time at the Van Wert County Sheriff’s Office located at 113 N. Market Street Van Wert, or print an application off the Sheriff’s Office website at www.vanwertcountysheriff.com .
Persons applying need to also include a letter of interest and a resume’ when submitting their application. Applications with required documentation can be dropped off at the Sheriff’s Office at any time during the acceptance period above, emailed to the Sheriff’s Office by using the link at the bottom of the Sheriff’s office home page, or mailed to the Sheriff’s Office using the above address.
• Be a US Citizen
• Be at least 21 years of age
• Be a resident of Van Wert County or be able to respond to work from home in 30 minutes.
• Possess a valid Ohio Driver’s License
• Have a High School diploma or GED and provide a copy of the diploma or certificate with the application
• Have a valid OPOTA Peace Officer Certification when submitting their application
• Be of good moral character
• Never have been convicted of a felony or misdemeanor involving Moral Turpitude or is not currently under indictment for any criminal offense.
• Have no current charges of driving while intoxicated or driving under the influence of drugs or alcohol
• Never have been convicted of any family violence offense
• Obtain certifications required to perform duties of position to maintain employment
• Be able to pass pre-employment background investigation
• Be able to pass drug screen
• Demonstrate honesty and integrity, by successfully completing pre-employment CVSA or polygraph and drug testing;
• Demonstrate good general medical health as determined by a medical doctor, who is licensed by the Ohio State Board of Medical Examiners, and physical performance testing;
• Be declared in satisfactory psychological and emotional health by the Van Wert County psychiatrist who is licensed by the Ohio State Board of Medical Examiners or psychologist, who is licensed by the Ohio State Board of Examiners of Psychologists;
• Be fingerprinted and subjected a search of local, state, and national records and finger print files.
Starting base wage is from $34,049.60 to $46,945.60 depending on full time law enforcement experience, and then follows the collective bargaining agreement. The Van Wert County Sheriff’s Office offers Health Insurance with a monthly employee co-pay of $100 - $120, Paid Vacation Time, Comp Time and Paid Sick Time.
The successful candidate must complete a nine (9) month probationary period commencing from the date of hire.
The Van Wert County Sheriff’s Office is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Under the general supervision of a higher ranking officer, is responsible for maintaining law and order, protecting life and property, and enforcing the Statutes of the State of Ohio, along with other related duties as required. Be of good character and high moral conduct.
a. Operates a cruiser and conducts patrol activities involving response
to emergency calls and resident complaints, conducting accident
investigations, security inspections of public and private facilities
and assisting the general public as necessary.
b. Conducts and assists in conducting initial and continuing criminal
investigations, crime scene activities, interview or interrogation of
victims, witnesses, suspects or others, takes statements and affidavits,
makes arrests as circumstances justify, restrains and transports prisoner.
c. Serves warrants, summons and other Court issued papers.
d. Maintains records and prepares reports of incidents, complaints, and
contacts during daily shift performance in an accurate manner.
e. Appears in court to provide testimony.
f. Transports prisoners to and from facilities to court, other institutions
or medical appointments.
g. May be required to operate communications equipment as
h. May be required to serve in the Van Wert County Correctional Facility.
i. Shall immediately comply with all orders and assignments from
j. Shall accurately record all activities as required on all department reports.
k. Shall be responsible for accurate and thorough reports.
l. Shall cooperate in a good and helpful spirit with all other agencies
pursuant to the Van Wert County Sheriff’s Department Policies & Procedures.
m. Shall comply with the procedures and policies on the care and maintenance of all department equipment
n. Knowledge of State and local laws that pertain to enforcement.
o. Knowledge of proper law enforcement techniques.
p. Knowledge of weapon use and safety
q. Capable of handling stressful situations.
r. Capable of enduring vigorous physical activity
s. Capable of operating a motor vehicle at high speed with due
consideration of others safety.
t. Capable to work effectively with all department personnel,
other agencies and the general public.
u. Weapons skill meeting department standards.
v. Required to work any and all shifts including weekends and holidays.
a. Graduate from 12th grade of school
b. Complete Ohio Peace Officer Training School.
c. Have a valid driver’s license.
d. Have a working home telephone.
Click Here for All News Articles