The Van Wert County Sheriff’s Office is accepting applications for the position of Nurse, at the Van Wert County Correctional Facility. The positions are part-time hourly positions that is contracted through the Van Wert County Commissioners’ Office. Applications will be accepted through May 25th, 2018 at 3:00pm. Anyone interested in applying can pick up an application at any time at the Van Wert County Correctional Facility located at 204 N. Washington St. Van Wert or the Van Wert County Sheriff’s Office located at 113 N. Market Street Van Wert. Interested persons can also print an application off the Sheriff’s Office website at www.vanwertcountysheriff.com .
Persons applying need to also include a letter of interest and a resume’ when submitting their application. Applications with required documentation can be dropped off at the Correctional Facility at any time during the acceptance period above, emailed to the Sheriff’s Office by using the link at the bottom of the Sheriff’s Office home page, or mailed to the Sheriff’s Office using the above address.
• Be a US Citizen
• Be at least 21 years of age
• Possess a valid Ohio Driver’s License
• Have a High School diploma or GED and provide a copy of the diploma or certificate with the application
• Be a Licensed Practical Nurse (LPN) or Registered Nurse (RN)
• Be available to work different days of the week on a rotating basis
• Be available for on-call status on a rotating basis and respond to Correctional Facility when needed
• Be of good moral character
• Never have been convicted of a felony or misdemeanor involving Moral Turpitude or is not currently under indictment for any criminal offense.
• Have no previous or current charges of driving while intoxicated or driving under the influence of drugs or alcohol
• Never have been convicted of any family violence offense
• Obtain certifications required to perform duties of position to maintain employment
• Be able to pass pre-employment background investigation, which may include a polygraph examination
• Be able to pass drug screen
• Be fingerprinted and subjected a search of local, state, and national records and finger print files.
The starting wage is $20.00 per hour.
Successful candidates must complete a nine (9) month probationary period commencing from the date of hire. The Van Wert County Sheriff’s Office is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Nurse – Correctional Facility
Includes but is not limited to:
a. Coordinate the delivery of health services within the facility under the direction of the facility health authority (Jail Physician).
b. Ensures the daily administration of medication under the direct instructions from the facility health authority.
c. Performs all dressing changes, noting description and condition of the wound or injury on the medical record, reports without unnecessary delay any complications to the health authority.
d. Receives and verifies pharmacy deliveries against physician ordered prescriptions.
e. Reviews with the facility health authority any and all prescription medication brought to the facility by new admitted prisoners or prisoners coming from other facilities.
f. Notify the health authority, without any unnecessary delay, any medical emergency involving a prisoner, using own discretion on whether to send a prisoner to the hospital, in the event that the health authority is unavailable.
g. Reviews, with prisoner, health care instructions received from the health authority or their personal physician.
h. Provide correctional staff with special instructions, per the facility health authority, concerning the administration of medications and alert them to prisoners requiring closer observation for medical or health reasons.
i. Review daily, all newly admitted prisoner medical screening forms for potential health problems, both acute and chronic.
j. Assist the health authority, when required, during medical visits to the facility.
k. Maintains documentation of all inmates who request or refuse sick call.
l. Coordinate with the transport officer, the transportation of specimens to the appropriate laboratory for testing.
m. Cancels appointments for prisoners being released.
n. Schedule referral appointments for prisoners and coordinate movement with transport / warrant supervisor. Coordinates emergency admissions to hospitals per health authority's orders.
o. Assist the health authority in the preparation of the Transfer of Medication Information form for those prisoners being transported to another penal institution.
p. Maintain a monthly written inventory of consumable medical and first aid supplies.
q. Maintains an inventory of sterile instruments and medical equipment.
r. Coordinate with food service all special diets ordered by the health authority.
s. Notify the Jail Administrator of the need for unique medical equipment or unusual medical arrangements.
t. Maintain the security of the medical room and its contents.
u. Coordinates medical area housekeeping duties with Correction Office and coordinates necessary repairs through the Jail Administrator's Office.
Click Here for All News Articles