Accepting Applications - Communication Officer
The Van Wert County Sheriff’s Office is accepting applications for the position of Communications Officer. This is a Part Time Intermittent hourly position. Applications are being accepted through November 20th, 2017 at 4:00pm. Anyone interested in applying can pick up an application at the Van Wert County Sheriff’s Office located at 113 N. Market Street Van Wert, Ohio, or print an application off of the Sheriff’s Office website at www.vanwertcountysheriff.com
Persons applying need to also include a letter of interest and a resume’ when submitting their application. Completed applications can be dropped off at the Sheriff’s Office at any time during the acceptance period above, emailed to the Sheriff’s Office by using the link at the bottom of the Sheriff’s office home page, or mailed to the Sheriff’s Office using the above address.
• Be a US Citizen
• Be at least 21 years of age
• Be a resident of Van Wert County or become a resident within 1 year
• Possess a valid Ohio Driver’s License
• Have a High School diploma or GED and provide a copy of the diploma or certificate with the application
• Be of good moral character
• Never have been convicted of a felony or misdemeanor involving Moral Turpitude or is not currently under indictment for any criminal offense.
• Have no previous or current charges of driving while intoxicated or driving under the influence of drugs or alcohol
• Never have been convicted of any family violence offense
• Be able to communicate, both verbally and written, clearly and effectively under stressful conditions
• Obtain certifications required to perform duties of position to maintain employment
• Be able to pass pre-employment background investigation, which may include a polygraph examination
• Be able to pass drug screen
Starting Salary is $14.57 p/hr. with step increases. The Van Wert County Sheriff’s Office offers paid Vacation Time, Comp Time and Sick Time.
The successful candidate must complete a nine (9) month probationary period commencing from the date of hire.
The Van Wert County Sheriff’s Office is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Under general supervision – is responsible for receiving calls and dispatching law enforcement, fire and EMS units as well as operating communications equipment and perform other duties as required.
1. Operate base radio console to communicate with department units
and with other law enforcement agencies.
2. Receives all incoming telephone calls from the public or other agencies.
3. Operates L.E.A.D.S. Terminal to run automobile registrations checks,
social security checks, active warrants checks, criminal history checks,
and to send teletypes to other law enforcement agencies.
4. Assist public with information or refers public to proper agency in a
5. Maintains records and prepares reports as required.
6. Performs minor typing duties
7. Must become knowledgeable in relevant equipment & its operation.
8. Have a knowledge of county geography
9. Have knowledge of safety practice and procedures.
10. Ability to handle stressful situations and exercise sound judgement.
11. Ability to follow oral and written instructions.
12. Ability to perform routine typing
13. Ability to develop and maintain working relationships with fellow
employees, other agencies and the general public.
14. Responsible following for 911 Standard Operation Procedure
15. Proficient in computer software and MS Office Suite
16. Available to work any and shifts including weekends and holidays
17. Perform other related duties as required.
Click Here for All News Articles